Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Use up the leftover cranberries, freeze the loaf for later. I often make half of this into a loaf and half into small muffins.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries or 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped frozen cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.
- Mix sugar and butter in a medium mixing bowl until completely blended.
- Add banana, milk and eggs, mixing well.
- Add dry ingredients, mixing just until moist.
- Stir in nuts and cranberries.
- Spread batter evenly in the loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the bread comes out clean.
- Remove from pan, cool on rack.
This is SO easy to make and tastes great. I took it to work and it was devoured in no time at all. I might add a few more nuts next time because I really like the different textures. I used frozen cranberries - whole. They just kind of POP in your mouth that way. All in all, a great recipe. Can't wait to make it again.
This could be the best friend my cup of coffee ever had! It was really easy, and left very little mess. I love that it is moist, yet firm, with wonderful, crunchy surprises in every bite!! A definate keeper!! Marianna
I usually use a different recipe but tried this one out for something different this time. I'm sorry this gets a 2. It looks great but there's 2 problems I had with this recipe. 1 cup of mashed banana isn't enough. I couldn't even see the banana veins in the loaf (it looked more like pound cake...and it tasted more like pound cake). Second problem I had was figuring out how much butter to use. 1/4 vs 1/2 cup is a big difference. Why does the recipe list that like that?
If you are using this recipe, my advice would be to double the banana to 2 cups of mashed banana and 5 Tbsp of butter. You may need to add in another 1-3 tbsp of flour too depending on how your batter looks.