Recipe by Mary Scheffert
My Mom never made plain banana bread - the cranberries add such a pretty color and nice tartness to this bread. Great for breakfast!
Top Review by Deborah1
This is different but good quick bread. I like to keep a supply of quick breads in the freezer for quick breakfasts or snacks for my husband. This one did not disappoint us, except that I forgot to add the nuts! I did make a change to the method, however. My shortening and sugar was more like coarse crumbs until I began adding the eggs. As a result, I added the bananas and then the cranberry sauce prior to adding the dry ingredients. I think the secret to a tender quick bread is not to overwork the batter, and I felt trying to fold in the heavy cranberry sauce after the flour would over work it. I also think it dispersed the cranberries much more evenly this way. Regardless, this was a different and delicious bread, one that I will make again.
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 2 cups mashed, ripe bananas
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350- grease two 9x5 loaf pans.
- Cream shortening with sugar; add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine dry ingredients& add alternately with bananas to shortening mixture.
- Add nuts, stir well.
- Fold in cranberry sauce.
- Pour batter into prepared pans- bake 60-65 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pans& cool thoroughly on wire rack (allow to cool completely before slicing).