Recipe by Chef Pooh #2
applesauce mixed with whole cranberries and cranberry sauce
Top Review by Sydney Mike
We love homemade applesauce, as well as homemade cranberry sauce, so I'm thinking this recipe was made for us! Well, whether it was or not, it does make for some absolutely wonderful sauce, & I made the whole batch using some of the frozen cranberries I had since the beginning of the year (I stash a LOT of 'em away for use all year 'round!) ~ Several neighbors & friends were gifted some of this sauce, but I still kept 3 jars of it for right here at home! The recipe is definitely a keeper! Many thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]
- 1 (12 ounce) bag cranberries
- 2 (16 ounce) cans jellied cranberry sauce
- 3 lbs apples
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- I use my apple peeler device that automatically peels,cores, and slices apples up. As I take them off the device, I put them in the bowl, splash lemon juice and fruit fresh to prevent browning.
- Using blender, I put some of the apples, jelly sauce, and some cranberries, with a little of the water. I end up using at least 1 cup of water. I keep extra water just in case. I put the blender on one of the highest settings and blend.
- Pour in into crockpot or dutch oven. I end up making several different batches, so one ends up in the crock pot, and the next one ends up in the dutch oven on the stove over medium high heat.
- Repeat till your ingredients are gone.
- Meanwhile wash jars, lids, and rims. Boil in water bath to sanitize.
- Pour hot applesauce in jars, put lid and rim on.
- Place in water bath for 25 minutes.
- Make sure jars have sealed. I tap the can tops and listen for the popping sounds.