Recipe by Chef Dudo
Got this in an e-mail some time ago. I think it originated in Gourmet. I use it as a side with meat and also as a dessert with a little ice cream.
Top Review by ajt575s
I absolutely loooove this applesauce! I can't stop eating it. I like cranberries, but not raw, and I had some I needed to get rid of. Now, I want to stock up on cranberries so I can make this again and again! This will be a regular at our house--thanks so much for posting!
- 4 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 3 inch)
- 1 strip lemon zest (about 3 inch)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy saucepan cook the apples, cranberries, sugar, apple juice or water, cinnamon stick, and zest over moderate heat.
- Stir now and then.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until the apples are very soft.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and the zest.
- Keep it chunky or blend it for a smoother sauce.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- It keeps, covered and chilled, for 1 week.