Recipe by LilPinkieJ
It's easy to love apple pie. Turning out the perfect crust? Not so easy. Which is why this apple and dried cranberry tart does away with the hard part without sacrificing the joy of baking. This recipe uses purchased pizza dough to create a thin crust that is topped with tart apple slices.For a nice finish, dust the tart with powdered sugar, or a blend of powdered sugar and cinnamon. If you'd prefer a more traditional crust, a prepared pie crust also could be used. But pizza crust lends a nice chew that works well with the tender apple slices. Be sure to let the dough come to room temperature before rolling it. The dried cranberries can be soaked in water or juice for 15 minutes before using. This isn't necessary, but it makes them plump and juicy. Be sure to drain them well before placing them on the tarts.
- 1 ball prepared pizza dough, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 8 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 375. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured counter, divided the dough in two. Use a rolling pin to roll out each piece of dough into a 10-in. circle about ¼ inches thick. Transfer the crusts to the prepared baking sheet (you may need to use 2 sheets). Set aside.
- Place the butter in a small, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high until melted. Mix in the cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and brown sugar. Use a pastry brush to coat both crusts with some of the butter mixture; reserve the remaining butter.
- Arrange half of the apple slices over each crust, then brush the apples with the remaining butter. Sprinkle half of the cranberries over each tart. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned and the apples are tender. Let cool before serving.