Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I haven't prepared this yet but wanted to be sure to save. Sounds delicious!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 granny smith apples or 2 golden delicious apples, cored and thinly sliced into rings
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 450 or a grill to medium high.
- Center sweet potatoes, apple slices and cranberries on 18x24-inch sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Combine melted butter or margarine and cinnamon and drizzle over brown sugar.
- Bring up sides of foil. Double-fold the top and ends of foil to make a large foil package, leaving room for heat to circulate inside.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes on cookie sheet in oven or place on covered grill 20 to 25 minutes until potatoes are tender.
I halved the recipe to serve with pork tenderloin. I opted for the granny smith, which baked up deliciously. I would probably increase the butter/cinnamon sauce next time. But, I did not find it really sweet as the other reviewer did.
This was very, very good. It's quite sweet, almost dessert-like (think candied yams sweet), but we still enjoyed it with some spicy and lemony dishes to provide some good contrast. I used white sweet potatoes and sweet apples. Also, I must confess, even though this is not a complicated recipe, I managed to do it wrong the first time, somehow totally forgetting the sugar, butter, and cinnamon. It's still rather nice that way though, so if you're watching fat or calories, you can safely cut those back. If not though, I recommend the way it's written; the butter adds a bit of richness. I'm looking forward to making this again at our next barbecue. Thanks!