Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A colorful and tasty salad the balances sweet and sour and looks fancy but is easy to whip up. It works well for an easy dinner at home or a special occasion. The vinaigrette recipe is very flexible, and there are endless variations to try. I've seen many versions on various recipe sites, and this one is an adaptation of a recipe on grouprecipes.com
- 1 (10 ounce) package Baby Spinach
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- If you're making this ahead for a potluck or large party, don't chop the apple until you're ready to serve it. Likewise, keep the dressing separate until ready to serve.
- If you prefer, use spicy brown mustard instead of the ground mustard and onion powder. Adjust the salt as well.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the fresh cranberries, sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, onion powder, and orange juice. Slowly add the oil until all is well mixed.
- In a large serving bowl, mix the spinach, dried cranberries, and apple.
- When ready to serve, pour the dressing over the salad and toss until it is well-coated but not soupy.