1/1 Photo of Cranberry-Apple Spice Muffins (Gluten Free)
Emily Elizabeth's Note:
These muffins have a distinct flavor due to the blend of spices and orange zest. I based the spices off of a recipe for spice cake, since that is what I was craving at the time. The wonderful thing about these muffins is though they do take some time to make, they are filled with nutrients from the veggies and fruits and they don’t have the high sugar or fat content of most muffins. Since the nutrition info doesn't include the flours, I did my own calculation - 119 cal, 2.5 fat, 21 carbs, 1.8 fiber, 5.4 sugar, 2.7 protein. (only 2 points with weight watchers!) These also work great in mini loaf pans. Simply increase the baking time to 45 minutes, or until a fork inserted in the center comes out clean.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 zucchini)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped apples (about 1 large apple)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (Try 3/4 brown rice flour, 1/4 soy or almond flour and 1/2 cup each of garfava flour, tapioca flour &)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- walnuts (I've also used biscotti crumbs for added crunch or sprinkled extra brown sugar on top )
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line two muffin pans (I like to do one regular 12 cup muffin pan and one large 6 cup muffin pan, this also works in a small loaf pan).
- 2In a medium sized bowl stir together the filling ingredients.
- 3In large bowl, mix together dry ingredients using a wire whisk. Stick your nose in and smell all the spices!
- 4In a mixer, beat the eggs, then add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix well. (TIP: To keep the molasses from sticking to your tablespoon, rub a drop of oil in the inside and around the edges and it will slide right off!).
- 5Turn mixer on low speed and add the dry mix a little bit at a time, mixing after each addition. Put mixer on medium-high speed and mix for about 15 seconds.
- 6Add the filling ingredients and mix on low for about 15 seconds.
- 7Spoon the batter into pans, filling halfway since muffins will double in height (I recommend using a rounded ice cream scoop).
- 8Place a walnut in the center of each muffin (Sprinkle on brown sugar or crushed biscotti crumbs if you like).
- 9Bake for 20-25 minutes. When done, leave in pans at least 5 minutes before eating.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry-Apple Spice Muffins (Gluten Free)
Serving Size: 1 (52 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 62.2
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 93.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: