1 hr 25 mins
Sydney Mike's Note:
Many years ago when recipes for apple pie with cranberries were not all that plentiful, I transformed one of my pie recipes & came up with an apple pie that is chuck full of cranberries! For this pie I prefer Pipins.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pastry for double-crust deep dish pie
- 1 cup corn flakes, lightly crushed
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 (12 ounce) bag cranberries
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup cranberry liqueur
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 6 cups tart apples, peeled & sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1Prepare your favorite pie pastry, enough for a 2-crust, deep dish pie, then form into 2 balls, one slightly smaller. Wrap the smaller ball in wax paper & chill.
- 2Roll out the larger ball & line a 9.5" deep dish pie plate, leaving a 3/4" overhang. Sprinkle crushed corn flakes into the bottom of the pie shell, then put the plate in the refrigerator to chill.
- 3In a saucepan combine raisins, berries, cider & liqueur. Cook & stir 5-8 minutes until berry skins pop.
- 4Preheat over to 425 degrees F & make sure that 2 of the racks are in the 2nd & 3rd positions from the bottom.
- 5Combine sugar, cornstarch & mace, then stir this mixture into the hot cranberry mixture. Cook quickly, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens & bubbles. Remove from heat & stir in apples. Set aside to cool.
- 6Roll out rest of pie pastry to make an 11" circle, then cut it into 1/2" wide strips.
- 7Spoon the cooled cranberry/apple mixture into the chilled pastry lined plate & dot with butter.
- 8Weave pastry strips on top of the filling to make a lattice crust, then flute edge to stand up high. Cover edge with foil or a pie 'edge liner' shiny side up, to prevent over browning.
- 9Bake 20 minutes on the lower rack, then move to the upper rack & bake another 10 minutes. Remove the edge liner & bake another 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack before refrigerating.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.7
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 1.5 mg
- Sodium 209.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 43.7 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: