1 hr 20 mins
Serve this delicious bread pudding at your next brunch gathering! Prep time does not include refrigerator time of one hour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups peeled and sliced baking apples
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 5 cups stale plain croissants or 5 cups brioche bread, cut into cubes
- 1In a medium bowl, toss sliced apples with lemon juice and set aside.
- 2Beat eggs with an electric mixer until light and frothy. Add the sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon and beat until smooth. Stir in the butter, half and half and brandy.
- 3Toss the apples, cranberries and pecans with the bread cubes. Place the mixture in a greased 9 X 5 inch loaf pan (or individual custard cups). Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread cube mixture.
- 4cover with foil and weight down the top with a 1 or 2 lb. bag of rice or beans. (This encourages the bread to absorb the liquid). Chill for 1 hour.
- 5Preheat oven to 325*F. Remove foil and weight and place the pudding in a larger pan filled with 1 inch hot water. Bake for 55 minutes or until set. Increase oven temperature to 425*F and bake 10 minutes more, until lightly browned. Serve warm with room temperature custard sauce.
- 6To make the custard, place half and half and vanilla bean in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until half and half is just about to boil. Remove from heat.
- 7In a metal mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until lightly coloured. Remove the vanilla bean from the half and half, scraping the seeds into the liquid. Stir in the vanilla extract and whisk this mixture into the eggs.
- 8Return to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just begins to thicken and coat the spoon.
- 9Immediately remove from heat and pour into an empty bowl, which you have set over another bowl filled with ice water. (This stops the custard from cooking and prevents curdling) Stir until cooled slightly. Cool for about 10 minutes longer. Serve warm with the bread pudding.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Apple Pecan Bread Pudding With Custard
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 599.5
- Calories from Fat 363
- Total Fat 40.3 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 409.8 mg
- Sodium 175.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 31.1 g
- Protein 12.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: