Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love mini loaves. How cute are they?!? And you can't beat cranberries and apples together. Plus, this uses cranberry sauce, which is great for when cranberries aren't in season. This recipe comes from Home and Gardens' "Old-Fashioned Home Baking." Prep time is a guess.
- 1⁄2 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded peeled apple
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons orange juice
- Grease four 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 1 1/2-inch individual loaf pans. In a small mixing bowl, stir together cranberry sauce, chopped nuts and orange peel. Set pans and cranberry mixture aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder and allspice. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture.
- In another medium mixing bowl, combine the egg, shredded apple and cooking oil until well mixed. Add apple mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Pour HALF of the batter evenly into the prepared pans (use about 1/3 cup for each pan). Spoon about 2 tbl cranberry mixture on top of the batter in each pan. Top with remaining batter. Spoon the remaining cranberry mixture down the center of each loaf.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until done. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove quick breads from pans. In a small mixing bowl, stir together powdered sugar and enough orange juice to make an icing of drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm loaves.