Recipe by NavyWife'nMom
This recipe was given to me by a co-worker several years ago, but I just found and tried it for the first time, and was amazed with the flavor! It's a great Christmas morning dish, or an easy day-after-Thanksgiving breakfast for guests. The Splenda and egg substitute make for a bit health-friendlier breakfast, too.
Top Review by JanuaryBride
Made for Spring 2008 PAC: A tasty morning treat. . .perfect for any time of the year. That being said, it would be a GREAT make-ahead breakfast for a holiday or when company is in town. SO light and fluffy. A little too sweet for my taste, so I will decrease the Splenda next time. Used granny smith apples which were good. The cranberries absolutly made the dish, balancing the sweetness with tart. Also added walnuts on top for crunch which were very good.
- 1 cup Splenda brown sugar blend (may sub. brown sugar if you don't like sugar substitute)
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 3 -4 apples, cored and thinly sliced (braeburn or other tart type)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg substitute
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (I use 1%)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
Optional (for topping)
- powdered sugar (optional) or whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine brown sugar, butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a 9x13 baking dish. Add apples and cranberries. Toss to coat well. Spread evenly in pan.
- Arrange slices of bread atop apple mixture.
- Mix egg substitute, milk, vanilla and remaining cinnamon until well blended.
- Pour egg mixture over bread, soaking it completely.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight (or for at least 1-2 hrs if not made ahead).
- When ready to bake: Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Uncover an bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand for approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with powdered sugar, whipped cream to taste (We prefer a very light dusting of powdered sugar for the kids and plain for the adults).