Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Use only Granny Smith apples or a similar firm apple, this is a fantastic cranberry sauce recipe, and one that you will be making all time once you taste it! If you prefer a less sweeter sauce then reduce the sugar by a couple of tablespoons. If you don't have a cinnamon stick just add in a pinch of cinnamon powder, or omit the cinnamon completely. Plan ahead the sauce needs to chill for a minimum of 3 hours before using.
Top Review by cgaletka_10788034
This recipe has replaced my traditional cranberry relish. It has a tangy flavor from the ginger and it really brings out the cranberry flavor. I have made this recipe for the past few years. A real keeper!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, coed and cut into about 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 -2 1⁄2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 cinnamon stick
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4 or 5-quart saucepan, bring ALL ingredients to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Boil the sauce (lower temperature if the sauce is spitting too much) stirring occasionally (about 10-15 minutes) or until thickened.
- Cool and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours before serving.