Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Use only Granny Smith apples or a similar firm apple, this is a fantastic cranberry sauce recipe, and one that you will be making all time once you taste it! If you prefer a less sweeter sauce then reduce the sugar by a couple of tablespoons. If you don't have a cinnamon stick just add in a pinch of cinnamon powder, or omit the cinnamon completely. Plan ahead the sauce needs to chill for a minimum of 3 hours before using.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, coed and cut into about 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 -2 1⁄2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 cinnamon stick
- In a 4 or 5-quart saucepan, bring ALL ingredients to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Boil the sauce (lower temperature if the sauce is spitting too much) stirring occasionally (about 10-15 minutes) or until thickened.
- Cool and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours before serving.
This recipe has replaced my traditional cranberry relish. It has a tangy flavor from the ginger and it really brings out the cranberry flavor. I have made this recipe for the past few years. A real keeper!
WOW!! What a great sauce! I love this recipe, it has many of my favourite things - apples, cranberries, ginger, orange and cinnamon. I made half the recipe and it worked fine. It would be a lovely hostess gift at Christmas or Thanksgiving! I will serve the sauce with roast turkey, chicken or pork. Thanks for another great recipe Kitten made for Think Pink Tag Game In Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness, October 2008.