Recipe by Annacia
The cranberries may be swapped for cherries, raisins or your fav small dried fruit for a dreamy, creamy rice pudding.
Top Review by ElaineAnn
This turned out a delicious,fruity rice pudding type dessert. Requires a little patience and a little extra work, but worth every minute! Thanks for posting Annacia. Made for Harvest Moon Apple Festival.
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (or whatever fruit you choose)
- 3 1⁄2 cups skim milk (or 3 1% low-fat milk)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups golden delicious apples, peeled, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup arborio rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider
- 1 tablespoon Splenda brown sugar blend, packed (or more if desired)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, cover dried fruit with boiling water.
- Set aside for 20 to 30 minutes to plump. Heat milk, cinnamon stick and salt on the stovetop or in microwave until steaming hot, but not boiling.
- Remove from the heat, cover and set aside to steep.
- In a heavy, deep sauté pan or Dutch oven, heat butter or oil over medium heat.
- Add apple and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds.
- Add 3/4 cup apple cider and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining 3/4 cup of the apple cider and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add Splenda and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup of the warm milk and the cinnamon stick to the rice mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until almost all of it has been absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Continue cooking and stirring, adding remaining milk, 1/2 cup at a time, until the rice is tender and the risotto has a creamy consistency.
- Total cooking time will be about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard cinnamon stick.
- Drain fruit and stir into risotto, along with vanilla.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving warm.