I like lots of topping so I doubled the topping ingredients for this recipe, but that is optional. Use only Granny Smith apples for this. Serve this warm topped with ice cream, it is so good!..................... To Chef#1440179 this recipe WILL fit into a 13 x 9-inch pan it has been made many times before posting!!!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 8 -9 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 7 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- For the topping: Mix the flour, oats and brown sugar together until well combined.
- Add in the cold butter and mix with fingers until it resembles coarse meal; place in the refrigerator while preparing the fruit layer.
- To make the fruit: mix apples, cranberries, sugar, flour and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Add in the 7 tablespoons cold butter pieces and toss to combine.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Crumble the topping over fruit.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until apples are desired tenderness.
- Cool slightly and serve with ice cream.
- **NOTE** if you find that the topping is over-browning, then cover with foil.