Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I adapted this from a recipe I found on here. I wanted to use up some apples and an open bag of leftover coleslaw. This recipe is simply delicious with some nice clean fall flavors. This is nothing like the creamy wet coleslaw you would get at a deli. Its light, crisp, and crunchy.
- 2 apples, thinly sliced
- 2 cups bagged coleslaw mix
- 2 stalks of peeled and chopped celery
- 1⁄2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, separated, about 1/2 a lemon
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄4 cup Miracle Whip
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Thinly slice the apples into a small bowl.
- Stir in two tablespoons of lemon juice onto the apple.
- In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw, onion, celery, cranberries, and walnuts.
- Stir in the apples.
- In another small bowl, combine sour cream, mayo, sugar, salt, pepper, and remaining lemon juice.
- Poor the wet ingredients onto the coleslaw mix and combine.
- Serve chilled.
I loved the different textures in this coleslaw. I used craisins and did not toast the walnuts due to preference. It was so easy to toss together a few hours before dinner and was the nicest side to boring weeknight burgers. DS is usually not a slaw person but I noticed someone raided the leftovers in the fridge last night and I don't think it was the cat :) Thanks for sharing your recipe. *Made for PAC Spring 2010*
This is actually more like a Waldorf salad (with coleslaw replacing the celery) than a traditional coleslaw. Very nice! It should definitely be given some time in the fridge before serving; it's best if prepared about four hours in advance.
Yummy! We loved the use of dried fruit to dress up coleslaw. We used a whole bag of slaw and 1 very large apple. We also left out the walnuts (personal preference). We enjoyed the way the sour cream toned down the mayo and also the use of lemon juice vs cider vinegar. This added a great zing to this slaw which we used to make pulled chicken sandwiches. Thanks for sharing your adaption. Made for TYM game. :)