This recipe is delicious. I have used it for special dinners & just a special dessert for a regular meal. I don't use the organic sugar & usually leave out the raisins.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries, washed and dried
- 1 cup raw walnut pieces, chopped
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 3/4 cup black raisins
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup golden raisin
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled and cored
- 1Line a jellyroll pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, shiny side down, and brush the parchment or foil generously with canola oil. Set aside.
- 2TO MAKE THE FILLING: Into a large bowl place the cranberries, walnuts, organic sugar, black raisins, almond meal, golden raisins, cinnamon, and cardamom and mix well.
- 3Place the lemon juice into a medium bowl. Quarter, then dice the peeled and cored apples. Prevent them from turning brown by tossing them into the lemon juice to coat them. Add the apples to the fruit and nut mixture, tossing well to distribute all the ingredients evenly.
- 4TO WORK WITH THE DOUGH: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare the workspace by placing a dishtowel vertically on the kitchen counter to your right. Open the package of filo and unroll the dough. Place it on the dishtowel, and cover it with another dishtowel to prevent it from drying.
- 5Remove one sheet of filo, and lay it on the counter horizontally in front of you. Using a pastry brush, brush the dough with canola oil. Remove another sheet of filo and lay it on top of the first sheet. Brush with oil. Repeat the process with three more filo sheets, using five sheets altogether.
- 6Place one-third of the filling horizontally along the filo sheet about 2-inches (5 cm) in from the edge nearest you. Leave about 1 1/2-inches (3.5 cm) on either end to tuck inches Lift up the edge of the filo dough and lay it over the filling. Tuck in both sides. Then roll up the strudel like a plump sushi, and place the roll onto the prepared baking sheet, seam side down. Brush the top with canola oil. Repeat the process with two more rolls, placing them next to the first roll on the baking sheet.
- 7Combine organic sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, and sprinkle the mixture over the tops of each roll. Using a serrated knife, cut 1 1/2-inch (3.5 cm) slices half-way through.
- 8Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove and cool about 10 minutes. Then cut through the slices and use a spatula to transfer them to a large serving platter.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Apple Cinnamon Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 153.3
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 47.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 2.0 g