Recipe by Irmgard
This cake is wonderful either frosted or unfrosted. From the Robin Hood Baking Festival Cookbook.
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3 apples, peeled and diced
- 6 ounces dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons light cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- For the cake, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and grease and flour a 10" tube pan.
- Beat the oil, sugars and eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the next six ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add to the wet ingredients along with the apples and cranberries, stirring until moistened.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- For the frosting, heat the first three ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Add enough icing sugar to make a drizzling consistency, beating until smooth.
- Drizzle over the cake and decorate as desired.