Recipe by Mirj
Make a great gift, especially around Thanksgiving/Christmas time.
Top Review by zipperdoo2005
Simply delicious! I thought this would be too much trouble and it was NOT! I doubled the recipe, packed it into pint canning jars, hot bathed it for another 30 minutes and now I have some great basket stuffers for the holidays! The aroma just fills every crack of the house and sets the mood for the season! I'm off to buy more apples to do it again!
- 6 lbs mcintosh apples, quartered and cored
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons honey
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large cast-iron casserole, combine the apples and water.
- Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring often, until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Uncover and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, until it forms a thickened puree, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, cook the cranberries with sugar over low heat, stirring occasionally, until a thick puree forms, about 15 minutes.
- Pass cranberry puree through a coarse strainer.
- Then pass the apple puree through a coarse strainer and return it to casserole.
- Cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally until very thick, about 15 minutes.
- Add the honey and the cranberry puree and stir until blended.
- Transfer the butter to a heatproof bowl and cool completely.
- Pack into clean jars and refrigerate for up to 1 month.