Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
The blend of sweetness and tartness in this bread is just right. It's very moist and freezes well. I usually double the recipe to make 3 small loaves to freeze, and 1 large loaf to eat right away! This is perfect for the holidays.
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup chopped cranberries
- 2⁄3 cup peeled diced apple
- 1 egg
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add walnuts, orange peel, cranberries, and apple. Stir to coat with flour.
- Add egg, applesauce, and butter. Stir just until moistened.
- Spoon into greased loaf pans and bake in a 350 degree oven.
- For a 9 inch loaf bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- For three 5 inch loaves bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Just as good as RAD indicated. Left out the walnuts (on purpose!). The flavor balance is perfect.