Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is ideal for parties etc and is fairly simple to make. It can be prepared in advance and then baked when needed. I use the cranberry orange sauce from Cranberry Orange Sauce which is very easy or you can buy it ready made. For the pastry i use all shortening since it gives a more flaky pastry, if you like a more flavorful pastry you can use half butter.
- 1 -2 tablespoon cranberry sauce
- 1 1⁄2 ounces walnuts
- 7 2⁄3 ounces brie round
ruff puff pastry
- 4 ounces all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces shortening
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- ice water
- Pastry: Try to keep all ingredients as cold as possible, rub the fats into the flour and salt. until you get a bread crumb consistency.
- Add just enough iced water to make a dough that comes clean away from the bowl.
- Roll out on a floured surface to a narrow strip.
- Fold in three, give a quarter turn so one of the open ends is towards you and roll out again. Repeat three times.
- Cover pastry and leave to rest in fridge 20-30 minutes. Take care to roll away from you and do not break the air bubbles that will rise.
- Spread the cranberry sauce over the pastry and place brie on top and top with walnuts.
- Bring the edges of the pastry together at the top of the brie in the center and pinch together.
- Bake at 375F for 10-15 mins or 350F for 25-30 minutes Take care not to overbake or the brie will become liquid and leak out of the pastry.