Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe source: Bon Appetit (November 2009) does not include processing, refrigerating or freezing time (at least 8 hours to overnight)
- 3 cups cranberries (1 12 ounce package)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- In a saucepan combine first 4 ingredients (cranberries - salt), scrape seeds from vanilla bean and add bean to mixture and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 more minutes or until cranberries pop. Cool to room temperature.
- Remove vanilla bean.
- Working in batches puree mixture in a blender and then strain into a large bowl discarding solids. Stir in lemon juice. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight or until chilled.
- Transfer mixture to ice cream maker and process according to directions. Transfer to a container, cover and freeze.
OMG, this is outstanding! I made it today to get a jump on the things that can be done early for Christmas dinner. It's true cranberry flavor thats mellowed a bit with the vanilla but I should say that the vanilla does lessen once out of the ice cream maker. For the juice I used 3 Meyer lemons which gave me a perfect 1/2 cup. Used 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of Splenda to help lower the sugar content some. This is ideal for the holiday season but I'll be making it through out the year and it has been added to my Favorites of 2012 cookbook. It's a beautiful color too. :D