Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I wanted something different than plain cranberry sauce or cranberries with oranges to accompany meat dishes for my holiday table. I happened to have frozen strawberries and a couple of apples and a bag of cranberries on hand and the rest as they say is history. I brought the first batch to my friends' house for dinner, and they loved it...even the children.
- 1 (12 ounce) bag cranberries, rinsed and picked over (I used Ocean Spray)
- 1 large sweet apple, such as mcintosh or macoun,peeled,cored,cut into pieces (organic if possible)
- 1 cup apple cider or 1 cup cranberry-apple cider, not apple juice
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 (10 ounce) bagfrozen strawberries, slightly thawed (organic, if possible)
- Take frozen strawberries out to thaw.
- Wash, peel, core, and chop apple.
- Rinse and inspect cranberries.
- Whisk together apple cider and Splenda in medium saucepan.
- Over medium heat bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- When boiling, add cranberries and apple pieces.
- Return mixture to boiling over medium heat, then cover and cook 10 minutes or until cranberries have"popped" and compote is thickened.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Add cinnamon and partially thawed strawberries and stir until strawberries are thoroughly incorporated.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- Better second day after chilling in refrigerator.