Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From Australian BH&G Diabetic Living. Must admit not a big fan of cranberries but will definately be trying the alternative of peaches and almonds (post at end of instructions). Overnight chilling time is cooking time. If you cannot get Fruche (it is in our dairy section with yoghurt desserts) I would suggest using a low fat or fat free vanilla yoghurt though Fruche is a set dessert.
- 75 g rolled oats (1/4 cup)
- 185 ml skim milk (3/4 cup)
- 125 g vanilla beans, fruche
- 130 g cranberries (in natural juice drained)
- 1 tablespoon pecans (chopped)
- Put the oats, milk and Fruche in a medium bowl and stir well and cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir cranberries into the oat mixture.
- Divide the muesli between bowls and top with the pecans to serve.
- VARIATION - replace the cranberries with 140 grams tub of diced peaches in natural juice, drained and the pecans with slivered almonds.
Tasty and filling breakfast treat! I couldn't find fruche so I used vanilla yogurt, but only about a tablespoon because it's not as thick, and less milk for the same reason. I made the peach/almond version as you suggested and really liked the combination. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I don't think I should star this as I really changed it to be much healthier. What I got was 5 stars. I used more old fashioned oats than called for, I think the proportions are wrong because there is a lot of liquid going by cup mesure, I used homemade almond milk to make ours dairy free and I added some halal vanilla paste to it to get that vanilla flavour. Originally I was going to use yogurt as well but I decided against it to eat more simply and also because of the amount of liquid already added. Then I thought about what Fruche could be. I don't know the product but assumed it has some kind of sweetener added so I added some unpasteurised creamed organic Canadian honey (sadly not the same as raw, unpasteurised is probably still heated to filter) I used whole raw almonds I also let soak a little while in the mixture. To top it off I added Chocolate Covered Cranberries made with fresh cranberries, carob chips and butter!!! I played a lot, it was good! Made for MAKE MY RECIPE~ Summer Tag Game.