Recipe by C.C
I found this recipe in a magazine and it hung about on my desk for ages, until I eventually got around to making it. Sweet, but not too sweet, it has become a firm favorite in this house.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this the other day, but with a major addition of orange flavor in that I included a tablespoon of orange zest in the batter ~ We do like the combo of cranberry & orange! [Tagged, made & reviewed as part of my theme ~ Let Them Eat Cake! ~ in the current My 3 Chefs event]
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 boiling water
- 1 egg, room temp lightly beaten
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temp
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (chopped) or 1⁄2 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 inch square pan.
- Make the struesel topping by combining the brown sugar, flour, nuts and butter together with a fork until crumbly. Set aside.
- Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the melted butter, orange juice, boiling water and egg. Stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Fold in the cranberries.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle struesel over the cake batter.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- The cake may be frozen and reheated at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.