Found the original of this recipe in the December 2008 Betty Crocker Most Requested RECIPES: Holiday Recipe Collection, although it has been slightly tweaked by someone who really likes cranberries! NOTE: If you aren't a fan of the cranberry, pomegranates make a nice substitute
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups broccoli florets, fresh, coarsely chopped
- 1 large navel orange, peeled, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower seeds, roasted, salted
- 2 tablespoons red onions, sliced
- In a large serving bowl, mix the mayonnaise, orange juice, sugar, salt & pepper.
- Add the remaining ingredients, then toss until well-coated.
- Store covered in the refrigerator.
This was a delicious combination. I would suggest letting it sit for a half hour or so to let the flavors meld before serving.
We loved the combinations of flavors in the salad. I butchered my orange when trying to cut into bite size pieces so don't think I got near the amount called for but it was perfect for us. I also burnt my sunflower seeds so picked out those that were not burned so probably didn't have the amount called for but it was perfect for us. The dressing was just delicious made with low fat mayo. I'll be making this one again for sure. This would not feed 5 people in my family, more like 3. :) Thanks Syd. Made for PRMR