Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are really delicious, a real treat. I have made them several times since finding the recipe in a newspaper.
- 1 cup cranberries
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups oats
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups dates, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- In bowl, combine cranberries and 2 tablespoons sugar.
- In a bowl, combine 2 cups flour,oats,remaining 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar and soda.
- Add butter and mmx well (pastry blender works well).
- Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture.
- Press remainder firmly on bottom of 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle dates, walnuts and cranberry mixture over crust.
- Mix caramel topping and remaining 1/3 cup flour; Spoon over fruit and walnuts.
- Top with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Cut into bars.
Pretty fabulous. My favorite holiday cookie! The sweet and tart flavors are perfectly balanced.
i used quick cook oats, otherwise followed directions. these are ooey-gooey sweet and sour cookie bars. the sweet dates are a foil to the tart cranberries. remove from your baking pan as it cools or else they stick.