Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A perfect holiday cookie! You can substitute dried cherries for the cranberries, use a good quality white chocolate for this, I use Lindt or Baker's. These can be made up to 1 week ahead, or freeze in an air tight container. I highly suggest to double this recipe, these are wonderful biscotti!
Top Review by Chef 298200
I like this recipe but the cranberries got hard after baking. I guess i should have soaked them in some kind of liquer before putting them in the batter...thanks for the recipe
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar (can use another 1/4 cup more for a sweeter taste)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cranberries
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup almonds (chopped or sliced)
- 1 egg white
- 8 ounces white chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl whisk together flour with baking powder and salt.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter, sugar and eggs with extract until well blended (about 4 minutes).
- Add in the flour mixture, then the cranberries and almonds; mix well to combine.
- Divide the dough in half.
- With floured hands shape the dough in about 9 x 2-inch logs.
- Transfer the logs to prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg white until foamy, the brush the egg white on top and sides of each log.
- Bake the logs until golden brown, about 35 minutes (the logs will spread when baked).
- Cool completely in the baking pan (leave the oven heat on to 350 degrees).
- Transfer the logs to a work surface.
- Shake out any crumbs from the parchment paper, then place back on the baking sheet with clean-side facing upwards.
- Using a serrated knife, sliced the logs on diagonal about 1/2 - 3/4-inches.
- Arrange the sliced biscotti cut side down on the same baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes; turn the biscotti over and bake for another 5 minutes, just until beginning to lightly brown.
- Transfer biscotti to a rack to cool.
- For the glaze: stir the white chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water until smooth.
- Remove from over the water.
- Using a fork, drizzle chocolate over biscotti.
- Let stand until chocolate sets (about 30 minutes).