Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Baked Pie Shell
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, cut up
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons ice water
- 7 ounces almond paste
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 12 ounces cranberries
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh orange peel, plus additional (to garnish)
- To prepare baked pie shell: In food processor with knife blade attached, pulse flour and salt until well blended. Add cold butter and shortening, and pulse just until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle in ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition, just until large moist crumbs begin to form.
- With hands, shape dough into disk; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight. (If chilled overnight, let dough stand 30 minutes at room temperature before rolling to prevent cracking.).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll dough into 12-inch round. Ease dough into 9-inch glass or ceramic pie plate. Gently press dough against bottom and up sides of plate without stretching. Trim dough edge, leaving 1-inch overhang. Fold overhang under; pinch to form stand-up edge, then make decorative edge. Freeze pie shell for 15 minutes.
- Line pie shell with foil or parchment paper, and fill with pie weights, dried beans, or uncooked rice. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until beginning to set. Remove foil with weights, and bake 13 to 15 minutes longer or until golden. If shell puffs during baking, gently press it down with back of spoon. Cool on wire rack at least 10 minutes. Reset oven control to 350 degrees.
- To prepare almond filling: In food processor with knife blade attached, blend almond paste, softened butter, and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, flour, and salt; blend until well mixed, occasionally scraping down side of processor bowl with rubber spatula.
- Fill pie shell with almond filling. Bake 30 to 33 minutes or until filling is slightly puffed and golden. Cool completely on wire rack, about 3 hours.
- While pie is baking and cooling, prepare Cranberry Topping: In 2-quart saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups cranberries with sugar, water, and 1/2 teaspoon orange peel; heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly and most cranberries have popped, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining cranberries. Set cranberry topping aside to cool to room temperature.
- To serve, spoon cranberry topping over almond filling just before serving; garnish with orange peel. Refrigerate any leftovers up to 4 days.