Prep 8 mins
Cook 12 mins
Keep this cereal mixture on hand and cook one or two servings at a time. From B.H.and G.
- 1 cup rolled oats (Old Fashioned)
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 cup bulgur (cracked wheat, or amaranth seeds)
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or mix the choices) or 1 cup snipped dried apricots (or mix the choices) or 1 cup raisins (or mix the choices)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Splenda sugar substitute (white or brown, to taste optional)
- nonfat milk (optional)
- In a large bowl stir together oats, barley, bulgur, cranberries, almonds, cinnamon, and salt.
- Cover tightly and store at room temperature up to 2 months or freeze up to 6 months (stir or shake mixture before measuring).
- FOR 2 BREAKFAST SERVINGS:.
- In a small saucepan bring 1-1/3 cups water to boiling. Add 2/3 cup of the cereal mix.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until cereal reaches desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Sweeten with Splenda or Splenda Brown Blend and serve with milk if desired.
- MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS:.
- For 1 breakfast serving, in a 1-quart microwave-safe bowl combine 3/4 cup water and 1/3 cup cereal mix. Microwave, uncovered, on 50% power (medium) for 8 to 11 minutes or until cereal reaches desired consistency, stirring once.
- Stir before serving.
WOW, Annacia, this is a GREAT, GREAT cereal mix!!!! It is healthy, filling, easy to make and sooo tasty! I luv the combination of barley, oats and amaranth. They all have their distinct flavours, which pair so well. The dried fruit (I used a mix of cherries and cranberries) adds a lovely fruity sweetness, which for me was enough, so that I didnt use the sugar at all. Instead of flaked almonds, I used whole ones that I toasted in my oven and whizzed in the food processor afterwards. Mmmm! I could imagine this being great with other spices, too. The cinnamon is very nice, but maybe some vanilla in its place could be yummy, too. I will try that with my next batch. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this awesome mix with us! What a lovely twist on porridge! Made and reviewed for Photo Tag May 2010.
Really, really nice tasting breakfast, this is, & since I'm not often one to use just one fruit, I did combine dried cranberries with dried apricots! But I think what does it for me are the toasted nuts! Definitely something I'll be making again & again! [Made & reviewed in Newest Zaar tag]