Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Cranberries are available fresh only in the fall, but they can be successfully frozen for later use and added to recipes like this without defrosting.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup fresh cranberries or 1 cup frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, blend the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, combine the milk, melted butter, egg, orange zest, and almond extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until no streaks of flour remain. Fold in the cranberries and almonds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread evenly. Bang the pan once or twice on the counter to remove any air pockets. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the bread in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a rack to cool completely before slicing.