Recipe by Dawn in So Cal
I believe this is one of James Beards' recipes, cut from a newspaper years ago. Pretty tasty! And not as complicated as you may think.
Top Review by tmk
Great for holiday dinner with a lamb roast. I used 1/4 c. orange juice instead of the orange rind. I also used 1 tsp. ground cinnamon instead of a cinnamon stick. It was quite delicious! Made canned cranberries seem pretty sad!
- 1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup dry full-bodied red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon or Zinfindel)
- 3 inches piece cinnamon sticks
- 7 inches long piece orange rind
Directions See How It's Made
- Pick over cranberries, removing stems and any shriveled berries.
- Rinse under running water, drain.
- Combine sugar and wine in a non-corrosive heavy medium suacepan.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly, over moderate heat.
- Stir in cranberries, cinnamon stick, and orange peel.
- Increase heat to high, return mixture to boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce to medium low heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally until berries burst - about 10- 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Discard cinnamon stick.
- Lift out orange peel, cool slightly, and cut into thin julienne strips. Return peel to berries.
- Serve warm (but good cold too.).