Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a pretty bar cookie to add to a holiday treat tray, and a nice change from the usual citrus bars of this type. May be garnished with fresh raspberries and mint leaves for extra visual "pop".
- 1⁄2 cup toasted sliced blanched almond
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry-cranberry frozen juice concentrate (thawed, if frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 dash salt
- 10 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- CRUST: Place almonds and confectioners sugar in food processor or blender and process until nuts are finely chopped; set aside.
- Cream butter in small mixer bowl.
- Add sugar; mix until light and fluffy.
- Stir in nut mixture and flour.
- Pat dough evenly into greased 8-inch square pan; prick with fork.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until edges are light brown and top is still pale.
- TOPPING: Combine egg yolks and sugar in medium-size heavy saucepan.
- Stir in juice concentrate, butter and salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, 6-8 minutes (do not boil).
- When mixture reaches 180° to 185° F on a candy thermometer, remove from heat.
- Stir in food coloring if using, and spread mixture over baked crust.
- Return to oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars or diamonds to serve.