Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
The original recipe came from the back of a natural bran package, but I've altered it to my taste.
Make and share this Cran-Bran Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups natural bran, 100% natural (not All-Bran)
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk (or 1 cup fat-free milk mixed with 1 TBS of lemon juice)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 large egg
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened apple butter
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease 12-cup muffin pan (or use paper liners).
- Mix buttermilk with bran and set aside.
- Mix together apple butter, brown sugar, vanilla and egg.
- Add to bran mixture.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add to wet ingredients.
- Stir just until combined.
- Fold in dried cranberries.
- Divide batter into 12 muffin cups and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until they test clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in pan, then completely cool upside down on wire rack. (this prevents soggy bottoms!).
Very good muffins! I used buttermilk. I got 11 nice size muffins using a large scoop, they baked up in 13 minutes. I soaked the dried cranberries for 5 minutes in boiling water and drained well before adding them to the batter. These muffins are just the right sweetness for us, this is one that we will be making again. Thanks for sharing this recipe.