Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I was given this recipe years ago when I lived in Colorado. It is a very simple but delicious salad. It always gets lots of compliments and completely disappears at potlucks.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn into medium sized pieces
- 2 whole green onions, chopped
- 1 cup craisins
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 medium chopped avocado (I have never added this item.) (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper or 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- Heat dressing ingredients until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly.
- Cool dressing.
- Mix salad ingredients.
- Just before serving pour dressing over salad and toss well.
- Serve and enjoy.
This was really good- I took it to a potluck, with good success. I also did not use avocado- it doesn't seem like the texture would match the rest of the salad. I used coarse ground pepper, and may try 1/4 tsp of cajun seasoning next time
Instead of avocado I used strawberries. Great flavors and crunch with each bite!
We loved this salad! I made a few changes: tripled salad amounts, added a little red onion, provel cheese (mostly a St. Louis area cheese), and used 2-9 oz. bags of a romaine salad mix. I also tripled the amount of dressing just in case, but doubling it would have been fine.