Recipe by Mirj
I've been experimenting with cornbread recipes lately and this is one of my favorites. I don't bake it in a skillet, I use a regular 8 x 8 pan, and it comes out fine. Really yummy!
Top Review by yooper
Wonderful cornbread Mirj! This was part of my 9/11 memorial dinner. I didn't change a thing, except to double the recipe and make two pans. This complimented the meatloaf and mashed potatoes recipes I made perfectly. True American food!
- 1⁄3 cup sifted flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, if desired
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs until foamy and stir them into the dry mixture.
- Stir in the buttermilk and 1 cup whole milk.
- Heat the butter in a 9 X 2-inch black skillet, and when it is very hot but not brown, pour in the batter.
- Carefully pour the remaining 1 cup whole milk on top of the batter without stirring.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake 50 minutes, or until set and baked through.
- Slice into wedges.