Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I've been experimenting with cornbread recipes lately and this is one of my favorites. I don't bake it in a skillet, I use a regular 8 x 8 pan, and it comes out fine. Really yummy!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs until foamy and stir them into the dry mixture.
- Stir in the buttermilk and 1 cup whole milk.
- Heat the butter in a 9 X 2-inch black skillet, and when it is very hot but not brown, pour in the batter.
- Carefully pour the remaining 1 cup whole milk on top of the batter without stirring.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake 50 minutes, or until set and baked through.
- Slice into wedges.
Wonderful cornbread Mirj! This was part of my 9/11 memorial dinner. I didn't change a thing, except to double the recipe and make two pans. This complimented the meatloaf and mashed potatoes recipes I made perfectly. True American food!
A wonderful recipe for cornbread. I am always happy to try recipes for Southern cornbread, as there are so many. I liked the crisp bottom of this cornbread. It was very, very, good. Thanks for sharing.
I had the same result as Marg@Cayman Designs and I used an iron skillet. Not only did the bottom of the cornbread never crisp up, the bottom 1/4" remained soggy after over an hour of baking. While I didn't really care for it, Dh did.