1/2 Photos of Crackling Cornbread
Mr. "T"'s Note:
This recipe was my Grandmothers which I got from my mother. I added to it and made what I think is the best tasting cornbread that has ever been (just my opinion). I have made this for my family for years and also have used this same recipe to make 500 little 1 oz muffins that we use in Chili cookoffs as well as in Brunswick Stew cookoffs. This recipe is for a batch that will make a large 10" cast Iron skillet of cornbread or will make about 5 dozen of the 1oz muffins. Hope you enjoy. Mr. "T"
My Private Note
1-oz mu ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups self-rising buttermilk cornmeal mix (I use Martha White )
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped jalapeno
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup pork cracklings or 1 cup pork rind
- 1 cup whole kernel corn, drained with liquid reserved
- bacon grease or lard, to grease frying pan or Pam cooking spray, to spray on muffin pans
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.,.
- 2Grease frying pan or spray muffin tins with pam.
- 3Chop the onion into 1/8" - 1/4" cubes or pieces.
- 4Seed the jalapenos and chop into 1/8" pieces.
- 5Cut the cheese into 1/8" - 1/4" cubes or pieces.
- 6In large mixing bowl add 2 cups cornmeal.
- 7In small mixing bowl add 1 egg and beat, add buttermilk and mix well.
- 8Add egg & buttermilk mixture to cornmeal and mix well.
- 9Add the onions, jalapenos, cheese to the cornmeal and mix well.
- 10Add the cracklins to the cornmeal mixture and mix well.
- 11If the mixture is to thick add the reserved corn liquid and mix well.
- 12Fill the frying pan or the corn muffin tins and bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minute or untill golden brown. Enjoy.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crackling Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (16 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 121.6
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 42.4 mg
- Sodium 226.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 7.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
buttermilk cornmeal mix