Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Buttery rich and chewy cookies with a sparkling crackle top.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup sanding sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Adjust one rack in the center of the oven.
- Combine butter and sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl.
- Add egg yolks, vanilla, salt and beat until smooth.
- Add flour, baking soda and cream of tartar and mix on low speed until dough comes together.
- Scoop dough by rounded tablespoons and roll into balls.
- Roll balls in sanding sugar to coat and place on parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Bake cookies until they are golden brown around the edges, but soft in the center. Approximately 16 minutes.
- Cool on rack and store in tins.