Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
Cookies that taste great and smell heavenly while baking
- 236.59 ml pitted dates, chopped
- 59.14 ml boiling water
- 532.32 ml all-purpose flour
- 3.69 ml baking powder
- 3.69 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 0.59 ml ground cloves
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1 large egg
- 236.59 ml brown sugar, lightly packed
- 29.58 ml molasses
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- 36.97 ml granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º F (180º C). Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, soak 3/4 cup of the chopped dates in the boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- Add egg, brown sugar, molasses, and butter to date and water mixture, and mix until well combined.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients.
- Pour in the liquid ingredients and stir until combined. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup chopped dates.
- Cover cookie dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- With lightly floured hands, roll cookie dough into 1-inch (2.5cm) balls, then roll in granulated sugar.
- Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until cookie dough is still soft when lightly touched. Cool completely on rack. Store cookies in a cookie jar or a tightly sealed container.
A simple cookie to make and the spices are just right. I am not sure why they are called a "crackle top" because mine did not crackle at all (see photo) but, who cares when they taste this good? Made the house smell wonderful too! Thx Elly!