Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I adopted this recipe from Recipezaar and I can't wait to give it a try. This is what the original posted said about this recipe, "This is a great snack for anytime, it tastes just like Crackerjacks! Cooks Notes: If desired add 1 cup peanuts to popcorn BEFORE adding caramel sauce."
- 4 cups popped corn, fresh and lightly salted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Put popcorn in shallow roasting pan (large pan).
- In heavy saucepan mix sugar, butter and corn syrup. Stir over medium heat until boiling.
- Continue boiling 5 minute without stirring. Remove from heat; add vanilla and baking soda. Pour over popcorn; stir to coat well.
- Bake in preheated 250 degree oven for 1 hour stirring several times.
- Cool, break apart and store in tightly covered container. (Cool on waxed paper so it won't stick to pan).
Found this while looking for gifting recipes, gave it a try and all I can say is "Wow", which is exactly what everyone who tried it said, as well. This is a keeper, holidays or not. I did bump up the vanilla to a full teaspoon, as previously suggested, but that's personal taste, this is a great recipe!<br/>P.S. This has become a must have for the holidays. As such, a certain amount of tweaking has happened. I've found the addition of a small amount of molasses ( 1/4 tsp ) renders this indistinguishable from the real thing, (Cracker Jacks), providing of course you have a way to get your Cracker Jacks at their freshest, which few of us have. This recipe deserves a new scale, 5 stars is not enough.
very very good. Ithink next time i am going to add1/2 extra teaspoon vanilla. Very good recipe. I would recommend it to anyone.