Recipe by grandma2969
Found this in a vintage recipe book published Cracker Jack co...have not made it yet...also, not sure of quantity prepared still wonder about the cracker jack..name..no mention of it in the original old recipe...
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 14 large marshmallows, cut in half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- melt 4 tbls butter in a saucepan -- then add 4 squares of unsweetened chocolate and stir over a slow fire until the chocolate is melted --
- Add 4 cups sugar, 1 1/2 cups milk and 1/8 tsp salt --
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved -- then heat to the boiling point and cook without stirring until a little of the mixture forms a firm ball when dropped in cold water.
- remove at once from the fire and set aside.without stirring until the mixture is lukewarm --
- butter a large 13x9" bakling pan and cover the bottom with large marshmallows, cut into quarters --
- when the fugde is nearly cold, add 2 tsps vanilla extract and beat until thick and creamy --
- pour over the marshmallows, smoothing it with a spoon -- or knife --
- then place the remaining quartered large marshmallows ove the top of fudge.pressing them in lightly --
- refrigerate until well chilled and firm and cold --
- cut into squares to serve.