Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an old recipe that my MIL has kept and still makes. The hubby loves it.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk (she uses PET Milk)
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 lb saltine crackers (1/2 box)
- Stir in a large pot: sugar, eggs, all evaporated milk, and water.
- On medium heat, let mixture cook until it steams.
- Taste for sweetness, add more sugar if needed.
- Add two teaspoons of corn starch to the 2 tablespoons of cold water and wisk.
- Add the cornstarch water and vanilla to the milk mixture in the pot, bring to a boil.
- Take off heat.
- Crush cracker slightly, leaving some big chunks and add one pack of crackers at a time to milk mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add more crushed crackers if too soupy.
- Once satisfied with the consistency, spoon into a casserole dish and spread even.
- Store leftovers in fridge for upto a 5 - 7 days.
- Note: She enjoys this slightly warmed and my husband enjoys it cold. I like condensed milk drizzled on top.