Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Yes, this cake contains crackers! But it is the sweetest meringue type of cake you'll try, you won't know it has crackers in it. A lovely summer dessert. From BH&G.
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Line the base of a round cake tin with baking paper.
- Then butter and flour the tin.
- Prepare the crackers and pecans, mix them together; set aside.
- Put the egg whites and salt in mixer bowl and whip until foamy; then slowly shake in the sugar a little at a time- beating all the while.
- Once it's all added, continue to beat until it is stiff and glossy (as though you are making meringue), it will take about 5 minutes.
- With a spatula swirl in the vanilla, then very gently fold in the crackers and pecan mixture only until just combined- so the egg whites don't deflate too much.
- Scoop into prepared tin and smooth down gently.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until the top feels crunchy when lightly pressed and the middle seems to set.
- Leave to cool in the tin on a rack for about 19 minutes, then carefully loosen around the edges and turn onto a rack.
- Remove paper and cool completely.
- When cool transfer to a serving plate and top with cream and strawberries.