1 hr 20 mins
Yes, this cake contains crackers! But it is the sweetest meringue type of cake you'll try, you won't know it has crackers in it. A lovely summer dessert. From BH&G.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 22 small crackers (e.g. Ritz, Jatz or Savoy, crushed finely)
- 120 g pecan nuts, fairly finely chopped
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 pinch salt
- fresh strawberries
- freshly whipped cream
- 1Preheat oven to 170°C.
- 2Line the base of a round cake tin with baking paper.
- 3Then butter and flour the tin.
- 4Prepare the crackers and pecans, mix them together; set aside.
- 5Put the egg whites and salt in mixer bowl and whip until foamy; then slowly shake in the sugar a little at a time- beating all the while.
- 6Once it's all added, continue to beat until it is stiff and glossy (as though you are making meringue), it will take about 5 minutes.
- 7With a spatula swirl in the vanilla, then very gently fold in the crackers and pecan mixture only until just combined- so the egg whites don't deflate too much.
- 8Scoop into prepared tin and smooth down gently.
- 9Bake for about 40 minutes until the top feels crunchy when lightly pressed and the middle seems to set.
- 10Leave to cool in the tin on a rack for about 19 minutes, then carefully loosen around the edges and turn onto a rack.
- 11Remove paper and cool completely.
- 12When cool transfer to a serving plate and top with cream and strawberries.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cracker Cake
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 309.3
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 71.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 34.5 g
- Protein 4.0 g