Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Yes, this cake contains crackers! But it is the sweetest meringue type of cake you'll try, you won't know it has crackers in it. A lovely summer dessert. From BH&G.
- 22 small crackers (e.g. Ritz, Jatz or Savoy, crushed finely)
- 120 g pecan nuts, fairly finely chopped
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 pinch salt
- fresh strawberries
- freshly whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Line the base of a round cake tin with baking paper.
- Then butter and flour the tin.
- Prepare the crackers and pecans, mix them together; set aside.
- Put the egg whites and salt in mixer bowl and whip until foamy; then slowly shake in the sugar a little at a time- beating all the while.
- Once it's all added, continue to beat until it is stiff and glossy (as though you are making meringue), it will take about 5 minutes.
- With a spatula swirl in the vanilla, then very gently fold in the crackers and pecan mixture only until just combined- so the egg whites don't deflate too much.
- Scoop into prepared tin and smooth down gently.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until the top feels crunchy when lightly pressed and the middle seems to set.
- Leave to cool in the tin on a rack for about 19 minutes, then carefully loosen around the edges and turn onto a rack.
- Remove paper and cool completely.
- When cool transfer to a serving plate and top with cream and strawberries.