Recipe by MizEmerilLagasse
I made this for biscuits and gravy one night, and I was surprised at how much it was just like Cracker Barrels.
Top Review by Mrs_Rodz
This was really good! I think I like it just as much as sausage gravy, if not more. It's cheaper than sausage gravy too (and probably has less calories). I had to use dried onions because I didn't realize that I had run out of "real" onions, and I don't really recommend that. It had an overpowering flavor of minced onions. However, I can just imagine how awesome it would be with the right ingredients. Thanks for sharing!
- 5 slices maple bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2-3 1⁄2 cups milk (depending on how thick you like it)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Brown the bacon in a large skillet, over medium-high heat, and then remove and crumble.
- Add the butter and onions to the pan, and cook until onions are just browning.
- Turn the heat to low and add the flour. Cook for about 3 minutes or until the roux smells nutty.
- Whisk in the milk, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil over low heat, stirring often.
- Add the crumbled bacon.