Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I love Cracker Barrels hash brown potatoes/potato casserole so I thought I would share this recipe I found on copykat.com.
- 1 (2 lb) bag frozen southern style hash brown potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped fine
- Aunt Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt, to taste (avail. at JanesKrazy.com) or mccormick's Season-All salt
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter (or margarine)
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups colby cheese (I love cheese-but in this case, more is not necessarily better) or 1 1⁄2-2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (I love cheese-but in this case, more is not necessarily better)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup (sometimes I substitute cream of mushroom or cream of celery soups)
- Spray a 13" X 9" X 2" baking pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine soup, cheese, butter, onion, salt, and pepper. (or one of mixed season salts from above).
- Gently fold the potatoes into the mixture and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, until heated through and top is browned.
- Note: If you're looking for a one-dish meal you can add ham to this recipe.
I love this recipe. I do add about a cup and a half of sour cream seems to make it a bit creamier and rich to me.
This doesn't taste exactly like Cracker Barrel but it is the closest I have found and it is soooo yummy!! I make it all the time and my family and neighbors all love it!!!
This is good. Like another reviewer, I added a cup of sour cream. I served this and my family ate it up. I will make again, thank you for sharing.