Recipe by harikristi
I have been on a quest to discover the secret to Craker Barrel's perfect biscuits. There are several recipes out there that claim to be like Cracker Barrel's. I have tried them all, and they all fall short. Finally, through much trial and error, and a combination of the many other recipes I've used, I have created a recipe that is about as close as you could hope to come!!!!
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 beaten egg white
- extra butter, melted, for brushing
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450.
- SIFT (this is important!) together the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter and then stir in the milk until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough in half, and then each half in half again. Continue doing this until you have 32 small, roughly-equal, portions. Roll these into balls. Take two balls at a time and press them together into one disk. (This is what allows the biscuits to separate nicely for buttering!) Don't press them too flat, they should be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Keep doing this until you have 16 disks. Place them on a ungreased cookie sheet, sides touching. Brush lightly with beaten egg white.
- Bake 8 - 10 minutes, depending on how dark you like them. 9 minutes works for me.
- When they come out, immediately brush them generously with melted butter.
- Eat some right away! They are SO good fresh from the oven! Enjoy!