Recipe by Cathee B.
This recipe is awesome. It is exactly like the Carcker Barrels. It will leave your mouth watering!
Top Review by Brandyberry
I have never eaten at CB before so I cannot vouch for the authenticity of the recipe. I can however, vouch for the outstanding taste of this casserole. I cooked supper for 100 hungry cowboys & cowgirls after their big day of shooting competition. We had prime rib, roasted ham and lots of trimmings but this potato casserole was the biggest hit of the evening. People were coming back for heaps of 2nds and 3rds. I received tons of compliments. I followed the recipe as closely as possible when increasing x10. I will definitely keep this in my recipe repetoire. It is an awesome recipe.
- 32 ounces shredded hash browns, simply potatoes work very well (thawed)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl mix grated cheese, soup, sour cream, onion, 1/4 cup butter and salt and pepper. Mix well. Fold in hash potatoes.
- Turn mixture into a greased 9 x 13 dish.
- Melt 1 1/2 teaspoons butter in small frying pan. Add 1 1/2 cups of crushed cornflakes and saute for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 60 minutes or until golden brown.