Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is another copycat version of Cracker Barrels hash brown casserole. I found this recipe in a book borrowed from a friend , dont remember the name. The recipe here is designed for a skillet that is also safe for the oven. If you dont have one, you can easily transfer the casserole to a baking dish after its done cooking on the stove.
- 1 (26 ounce) package frozen shredded hash browns
- 2 cups shredded colby cheese
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock or 1⁄2 cup canned beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine the frozen hash browns, cheese, and onion in a large bowl.
- Combine the milk, beef stock, half the melted butter, the garlic powder, salt, and pepper in another bowl.
- Mix until well blended, then pour the mixture over hash browns and mix well.
- Heat the remaining butter in large, ovenproof skillet over high heat.
- When the skillet is hot, spoon in the hash brown mixture.
- Cook the hash browns, stirring occasionally, until hot and all of the cheese has melted (about 7 min).
- Put the skillet into the oven and bake for 45 to 60 minute or until surface of hash brown is dark brown.
I love the hint of a beefy flavour! I don't use salt b/c of the cheese. It's a bit greasy but what a great casserole for brunch of dinner!!
Just delicious,and no canned soup.I put it in a ovenproof skillet,was soood good.Thanks mommy2taylor.Rose of Sharon
Delecious! I really liked the fact I didn't need cream of chicken soup. Christy