Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the only way I can eat canned Green Beans!
- 1⁄4 lb sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans green beans, with liquid
- 1⁄4 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon until lightly brown but not crisp.
- When bacon has browned, add green beans.
- Add salt, sugar and pepper and mix well.
- Place onion on top of green beans.
- Cover saucepan with a lid and bring to a light boil.
- Turn heat down to low and simmer beans for 45 minutes.
These were great! I served them at Christmas dinner. I made them without the onion because two guests don't like onions,but will make them with the onion next time. THis is defintly a keeper for us.
Delicious! *wiping drool from chin* Heavenly! Of course, how can anyone go wrong with bacon, sugar, and green beans?? This recipe even works well with frozen green beans. Perfection in the form of a side dish. Thanks for posting the recipe!
Tasted just like Cracker Barrel!. DH had a craving for beans like this, and I'd never made them, so we looked up this recipe and cooked them up to go with a mid-week dinner. Everyone enjoyed them and they'll be on the table frequently in the future.